Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living on the Wild Side



You might think that living the retired life in Florida would be a tame thing, something that could not compare well with seeing lion attacking a wildebeest in Africa, or counting the bullet holes from the Khmer Rouge on the walls of Angkor Wat, the ancient temple in Cambodia. Yes, it is slightly more tame.

But there are moments when the wildlife comes back into focus. This morning was one.

I drove into our RV park after dropping off Jo at her silk painting class. A flick of movement, off to my right, caught my eye. And there was a four and a half foot long iguana hanging upside down on the trunk of a Spanish-moss-covered oak tree. He barely moved. His mane of bristling spikes caught the sun. His bulbous neck throbbed ever so slightly. I drove back to the RV and grabbed my camera before returning to the tree. But he has disappeared when I got back. I stood in the sand-spur-filled grass, looking around. And there he was down on the ground.

I knelt down beside him and he looked at me with his ball-bearing eyes. He allowed me to photograph him at will and only showed a little nervousness when I would stand up to move my position.

No comments: