Thursday, January 5, 2012

And Now, We Begin in Print


So many folks wrote me kind words after I alerted them to the fact that my first book, Now, We Begin, was available as an eBook. After the congratulations, many said they would like to read the book as a printed version. Well, friends, your wish is my command!

 I went back to the drawing board, for a printed version is a completely different kettle of fish.

Both ePublishing and Print Publishing have their up and downsides. eBooks require you to become a whiz at formatting and knowing all about hyperlinks and such stuff. Print publishing requires you to design the book in a completely different way. You need to become an expert at software like InDesign. All of it is a brain stretcher for old geezers.

But I set about learning (or re-learning, really) how to create a physical book that could be printed on paper with ink. That task came to fruition with the New Year!

After going through a series of frustrating rejections of my file from my online publisher because my design did not fit the parameters that I'd set up, I figured my way through the maze and was rewarded with an email from CreateSpace (my publisher) telling me I'd jumped over all the hurdles and my book now was up and available for sale at

https://www.createspace.com/3728363

In another 5-10 days, the book will appear on Amazon.com. Then, it spreads to Amazon in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and some other countries. The printed book is different in many ways from the eBook. The cover, for one thing, had to be changed because the picture of me perched on a sand dune in the Namib desert was simply too low a resolution for print purposes.

So I rummaged through my thousands of pictures, looking for something that would permit high resolution printing. That took me all the way to my favorite country in all the world: Bhutan. In addition, I was able to design many more pictures into the body of the book. Thanks for all the feedback - and for all the sales. It makes my day...and, maybe, my year.

No comments: