Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Elephant Graveyard

New cupboard that holds our printer and iPod music system at the front of our rig.

I've been working on a motor home project to improve the way the front interior of our motor home works. We decided to mount our TV on the side wall of the rig and that left a big hole at the front. Solution: Let's build a bookcase-cupboard up there.

I found an old desk at an auction that I purchased for $3. It provided me with makings of a nice wood-grained interior bookcase after I sawed it down to size. I was not so lucky with the finding a solution with the doors. I got some help from a carpenter camper who had access to his father-in-law's table saw. But my plywood doors looked cheap and plain.

When we moved up the road 70 miles, however, I went onto the Internet and found an RV salvage place was nearby. We drove over there and the greaseball guy behind the counter said he charged $2 per person to go into the yard to look for stuff. I said I would go on my own and he relented and allowed Jo to accompany me at no extra charge. We wandered through this unbelievable elephant graveyard of motor homes. Many of them were burned out (a sobering sight). Some were old and completely gutted. The transmissions, storage tanks, windshields, skylights and other parts had been stripped, leaving the carcass bare. But we came upon one with cabinets still intact.

We carried along a tape measure since there was little wiggle room for the size of the doors. Two doors met our requirements within a quarter inch. Now we had to find a screwdriver to allow us to remove them from the rig. Jo found a Philips head screwdriver lying in the debris and we knew it was our lucky day. We brought them back to the shop and haggled the price down with Mr. Greaseball.

When we got back home, they fit the bill perfectly. A little coating of Liquid Gold brought the wood back to life and we now are in business with a nicely enclosed front area for our books, the computer printer and our iPod music system.

No comments: